The cameraman of TV Bandeirantes Santiago Ilídio Andrade, hit in the head by a firework during the protest on Thursday (6) in Rio de Janeiro against the increase in bus fares, had brain death announced on this Monday.
Santiago has sinking skull and lost part of his left ear, he underwent surgery to reduce cranial pressure, as soon arrived at the Hospital Souza Aguiar. On Saturday, a CT scan showed that the bleeding had been controlled, but his health state worsened. He remained in a coma the whole time, but succumbed this Monday to serious injuries.
Born in Copacabana, Santiago, 49, had worked for 10 years to TV Bandeirantes, having received two journalism awards of Urban Mobility in 2010 and 2012, along with the reporter Alexandre Tortoriello. He worked covering various protests in Rio and was chosen to attend the press coverage of the World Cup this year. Married, Santiago Ilídio Andrade leaves a daughter and three stepchildren. The family announced that his vital organs will be donated.
Understand what happened
The cameraman, Santiago Andrade, was filming the protest for the local Bandeirantes television network Thursday evening (6) when a firework lighted by a protester struck him in the head, partially collapsing his skull. Read more here.
The photo below shows Santiago with the camera on his shoulder, and the explosive just behind him already sparked by the man with the gray shirt that runs. Is this man who has been identified that the police want to arrest in the coming hours.
He spent the following three days in intensive care at the Souza Aguiar hospital before succumbing to the injuries Monday, Rio’s health department said.
Mr. Andrade, 49, was the first journalist to die while covering the wave of street protests that began in mid-2013, when an attempt by city governments to increase bus fares created a platform for Brazilians to complain about wide array of social problems. The money spent on global sporting events Brazil is set to host in coming years, including the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics, has been a major focus of the demonstrators’ anger. But in contrast to the largely peaceful events last June and July, when more than a million people marched in scores of cities across the country, recent protests have been much smaller and more violent.
Police on Sunday arrested Fabio Raposo, a 22-year-old protester who’d said he found the firework that killed Mr. Andrade on the ground and had given it to another man, who set it off. The scene was captured by a number of other TV networks covering the event. Jonas Tadeu Nunes, the lawyer representing Mr. Raposo, said his client had given police the name of the person who lighted the firework, according to TV reports. Police said they are likely to charge both men with murder. Text source: The Wall Street Journal.
The death of cameraman Santiago Andrade was also featured on the BBC website. The BBC’s Wyre Davies was reporting from Rio’s Central Station as the violence unfolded and was one of those that helped Santiago still on the sidewalk before the arrival of paramedics.
Police display a firework similar to that reached the cameraman. This rocket can be purchased at any store of fireworks and is used by protesters to defend themselves from attacks of the police during the protests in Brazil.
First fatal case involving journalists in Brazil protests
A group of about 50 reporters, cameramen and photographers did an act this Monday (10) in honor of the Bandeirantes TV cameraman, Santiago Andrade, and in solidarity with his family. The act took place in front of the Candelaria Church. Another act was carried out where the cameraman was injured, near Brazil’s Central Station. Photographers and cameramen made a circle and a prayer, and put the cameras on the ground.
Santiago Andrade is the first fatal case involving journalists attacked during street protests since the beginning of the wave of protests in June last year. According to Abraji (Brazilian Association of Investigative Journalism) since the beginning of the wave of protests, were recorded 117 cases of violence against media professionals, committed by protesters or by police officers, including detentions of journalists.
I will remember here some other cases – with a detail: all the journalists were attacked or injured by police military officers during the protests in Brazil.
Reporter Giuliana Vallone
The reporter Giuliana Vallone, from TV Folha, was hit in the eye by a rubber bullet fired by a military policeman from ROTA (Rounds Ostensives Tobias de Aguiar) while she was covering the protest against the increase in bus tariffs in São Paulo June last year. She told that she was in a parking lot on Augusta street when a ROTA car approached at low speed and a military police officer who was in the backseat fired on her. According to Folha, in total seven reporters were hit by police. Fortunately, Giuliana has recovered and returned to see. Read more.
See this video with the testify of Giuliana Vallone and read her testimony:
Photographer Sergio Silva
Sergio Andrade da Silva, 31, from Futura Press Agency, was hit in the eye by a rubber bullet fired by a police officer while covering protest in Sao Paulo. He has lost the sight of the left eye. Read more.
See his testimony:
Photographer Yasuyoshi Chiba
Prized for its news coverage around the world, born in Japan, Chiba chose Brazil to live and work. On July 22, 2013, in Rio de Janeiro, after taking this photo of police officers being hit by a Molotov cocktail thrown by an undercover cop among the protesters, Chiba was cravenly attacked while was photographing the aggression of a police officer to a protester fallen on the street.
“I saw a protester falls to the ground. Cops grabbed him and took him. I was taking photos when I was suddenly pushed by other police officers. So I raised my arms with my camera to show that I was a photographer and had peaceful intentions but a cop in uniform and shield hit me in the head with his truncheon”, he said. Read more.
See his testimony:
Videographer Pedro Vedova
Videographer Pedro Vedova, from Globo News, was hit on the forehead, on the 20th of July, at the protest in front of the Prefecture of Rio de Janeiro, by a rubber bullet fired by a military police officer. Read more.
See his testimony:
Photographer Pedro Ribeiro Nogueira
On 14 July, photographer Pedro Ribeiro Nogueira, from Portal Aprendiz, was chased, beaten and arrested by military police while covering protest in Sao Paulo. Read more.
Watch the video of the moment of the aggression:
Videographer Vitor Araújo
Vítor Araújo, 19, is a young always present in the demonstrations. He was videographer from the independent media Basta TV. On September 7 he was hit in the right eye by a shrapnel of bomb thrown by the Military Police of São Paulo and lost 95 percent of eye sight.
Watch the video when Vitor is injured:
Em 12th september, Vitor Araujo and Sergio Silva met and talked about their experiences. You can watch the video from Basta TV just clicking here.